Sunday, October 18, 2009

Supplementation in College Football



One of the arguments against creatine supplementation in sports is that it increases dehydration and cramping. A recent study at Arkansas State University shows that a group of athletes taking a creatine supplement showed no more incident of cramping then a group of athletes that took a non creatine supplement. I take a creatine supplement during season due to the fact studies have shown creatine increases the rate of muscle repair. I also take it to boost energy in the gym to help get through weight workouts after practices. Whether I am using creatine during season or not I make sure to hydrate before and during physical activity to decrease any chances of cramping or dehydration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701814

4 comments:

  1. I have heard both pros and cons for any kind of supplements. As long as someone researches the risks and benefits of the supplements then I believe there is nothing wrong with taking them. However, I have heard about certain health risks that come with creatine, concerning the liver or bladder or something. I could be totally wrong because I haven't done any research myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I'm a fan of creatine. I have a really hard time building muscle no matter how much I go to the gym, or what I eat. Creatine definitely helps a bit. The best thing about it is that it helps reduce muscle soreness after a workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David this is great post, but I also disagree that creatine does not increase cramping as long as you’re taking in a higher amount of water; this will also keep you from getting dehydrated. I also take a creatine supplement while I am in season but I make sure to also up my protein to repair my muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take a creatine supplement also, David. I can see how it might make a person cramp up because during my workout (even though it was highly anaerobic) I still sweat a ton and was very thirsty. Im pretty sure that this was because of the creatine because before I started taking it I did not sweat too much, and I wasn'r as thisty.

    ReplyDelete